Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
"Comfort Foods"
Reply to Thread

Thread: "Comfort Foods"

Cool "Comfort Foods"

Along with my preps I have added in some comfort foods (ok, junk food! lol!!)
    These seem to truely have a physological affect on the mind when one is feeling down and needs a little "pick me up" I have included peanut butter and Ritz crackers, doughnuts, twinkys, candy bars, and pop corn just to name a few, plus a large amount of coffee!

Has anyone else added anything such as this to their preps?

If so, please list them.

Coffee and tea are definitely part of ours! Both whole bean and instant coffee, and multiple varieties of "real" and herbal teas.

Ditto, peanut/other nut butters, crackers and popcorn-- and those are recommended "basics", not mere "junk foods". I got Swedish "krakerbrot" from Ikea-- big "wheels" of a rye flatbread, and those last for months in just their paper wrapping if kept dry.

Re: popcorn-- Emergency Essentials sells a sealed 5 gal bucket (45#?) intended for long term storage, and they and other vendors sell #10 cans of it. Not cheap, but shelf-stable. If you are set-up to prepare it for LTS yourself-- you can buy bulk popcorn at wholesale/club grocers like Smart & Final; $26/50# here, which is ~ half the cost of the sealed 5gal bucket. Why so much popcorn?? Not because of its ability to "pop" and make snack food, but for making corn meal. Easier to grind than flint corn, and more readily available "everywhere". Also-- all popcorn is non-GMO (at least, for now...), whereas, almost all flint corn is GMO. Corn bread made out of popcorn meal is VERY good-- commercial corn meal is de-germed for storage reasons, and so has less flavor and nutrition.

Re: candy-- put chocolate in the freezer for "long term storage"; the oils will get rancid over time if stored at room temperature, even if "canned". I've "vacuum packed" chocolate chips, both in food-saver bags (in freezer) and jars (on shelf)-- not sure how long the jars will "keep", but they tend to get used up before that's a problem, anyway. Hard candies need to be stored with some sort of food-safe dessicant-- but not with an O2 absorber. Mormon friends have "canned" lots of "comfort items" at home/church canning parties-- favorite candy, single serving packs of cookies, and even make-up, so if something will "fit", it can be canned... not sure how long it would last, but....

I don't know if this falls into your definition of a comfort food but I have put away plenty of spices. Bland food will be very depressing. Jerky and smoked salmon are healthy treats that I enjoy. I also keep a few large jars of nuts though I am careful to rotate these on a regular basis so I don't keep as many as I would really like.

I have also Included comfort foods in my storage. I have the essentials to bake from scratch brownies, However I am afraid that it would be a disaster because you can smell brownies and that will draw unwanted attention. In all seriousness, If things do get bad we are gonna be under enough stress ,we are going to need those little comforts. I am looking into unroasted bulk coffee , it's a survival necessity for anyone who runs into my boyfriend when he hasn't had any. It's not pretty.

Instant pudding, smoked baby oysters, smoked salmon are some of my comfort foods. The kids will have different ideas as to what is a comfort food. Comfort foods are an individual choice to some extent. I suggest that each individuals taste should be taken into account. The five year old might think he is being punished if forced to eat smoked baby oysters. Some adults would agree but they are one of my favorites.

To a significant degree having a variety of foods is important. If you have a years worth of the same twelve prepackaged meals I promise you will be looking for something else in a few months. Spices, mushrooms, vegetables, or other items to vary or enhance a meal. Canned chicken is great but you better have a number of recipes or you will experience a loss of morale. Just using a different shape of pasta will make your meals fresh and stimulating. The sweets are an important part of your comfort foods but your entire meal plan is important for the mental and physical health of your family. I was a cook in the Merchant Marine for a few years. I can tell you from experience how important a varied diet is to the attitude of your crew.

I have vacuum sealed small bags of our favorite candies like those soft pepermints and fruity hard candy. I havw also sealed individual packa of gum. Ths pepermints are a great treat in hot teas or coffee and double as sweetner as well. I an also stocking cocoa. Gotta have the hot chocolate for my children as long as the milk supply stays in tact.

I haven't posted for quite some time, but could not resist this topic! I have always cooked from scratch and when setting up our storage areas, I divided everything into categories, including snacks: fruit (dried and in cans) marshmellows, poptarts, Zone bars, Cliff bars and Balance bars, several kinds of nuts, popcorn, peanut butter, jellies, pringles, crackers, cookies, coffee cakes, muffin mix, brownie mix, dried drink mixes (milk, tang, gatorade, lemonade, tea, hot chocolate), coffee (a necessity), and all the ingredients to make goodies from scratch. Rotate, vacuum seal, eat and enjoy!