Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
RE:Getting Spouces on Board - Page 3
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by myjudge45410 View Post
    Well y'all, I have an update to my post #17. I had mentioned trying to figure out a way to get enough money together to purchase some long term storage food the other night and my wife basically shut me down by getting angry. Well, I have been working on ways to just change the subject so we didn't end up arguing the other night. Last night she brought up the subject on her own, it ended up being much like bullits post about his wife.

My wife stated that she starts to become anxious and tense when I bring up the subject of preparing for future disasters. I posted in #17 that she has been buying extra canned stuff and she mentioned this, to which I told her that thrilled me to no end.

Well, to make a long story short. A little of something, is better than a lot of nothing.

Milo H.
    Milo, just bring up the whole Katrina issue and tell her that you are just concerned about what would happen in a situation like that where you are at. It never hurts to stock up on some extra food in case the food chain is interupted. I'm not talking about stock piling MRE's as that will surely make her think you are nuts, but building up some extra canned goods or boxes of rice dishes or potato sides (scalloped potatoe type ). Just buy the normal type stuff you eat on a regular basis and rotate the stock in and out to keep it fresh. If all else fails, remind her of the stampeeds at department stores on black friday and tell her that those people are stomping each other to save $25 on christmas gifts, imagine if they were trying to get food to feed their families!

Spouses on board

My husband dislikes shopping almost as much as I do, so he was used to getting a couple of weeks worth of groceries at a time. Last fall, I was almost in the same position as some of the others, and he was not quite on board with the whole idea, then our son said, what exactly is the downside of having extra on hand, other than not having to shop as often? I wish I could say that was all it took, but it helped. I have made it easy for him - I make the lists (and I have added more items after reading David Morris' book, plus other articles from other sites) and all he has to do is help me carry it in. I organize it, put it away, etc. Then, the question was where do we store it all after the cupboards were full - so I came up with the idea of using shelving, bi-fold doors and zip ties. I partioned off a corner of the dining room, arranged the shelving, put the bi-fold doors on the back side of the shelving and zip tied them to the shelving. I have a long room, with the shelving against the wall on one side, and the other side has the bi-fold doors for backing. I have a small freezer at the end. The room has air circulation since the doors are not solid and do not go all the way to the ceiling, is not visible to vistors (we rarely used the dining room) and it looks like another smaller room and I finally have my pantry!. He likes the idea of having this available, and no longer gives me grief. Not as on board as I am, but coming around. At least he's reading the book!
    Last edited by kiwisami; 02-28-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling!

myjudge45410
    GST, my wife has been on board about buying the stuff that we normally eat, (and we eat a lot of the things you mentioned) . I never thought of the "black Friday" stories you hear about. Of course one of my problems is watching the left leaning, mainstream media, talking heads, I can't stand their obvious foot licking of every thing Democratic, so I don't watch. Which makes it hard to tell her about these types of things. Although every now and then Dr. Phil (arrrrrgh, I can't stand his perfect parenting mumbo jumbo) will, on one of the shows she records have something that I can tie into the preparing life style.

Kiwi, I need to do more storage space my self. Thanks, I think I can use the shelving idea in one of the closets, I for some reason always think boards, screws, and brackets. Why not just get some sort of freestanding shelves, duh. The worse part about that is my wife loves walmart's cheap shelves and containers, and I just kept thinking build something. Now to clean out some storage space.

Once again thanks to all,
    Milo H.

Shelving and storage

Myjudge45410,

I like the shelving at home depot and lowe's - you can get 4 or 5 shelf units ($50 - $80 each unit in our area), and each shelf holds about 250 pounds! I also put sliders on the feet of the unit before putting anything on it, so I can move it around if I need to. Your wife may feel overwhelmed about purchasing it, organizing it, etc. or she may be like my spouse, who has hard time thinking about that big of a change in our way of life, and was very very slow to come around. I think part of it is that I was raised in the country, lived in the country for a long time and he was not, so different life experiences shaped our thought process. Maybe if she is interested in starting a small garden you may be able to approach her that way. Sometimes you have to go the long way around corners to get to the point!

myjudge45410
    Kiwi, The garden thing would be a good idea, except. Last year she went out with my 13 yr. to start a small flower/strawberry patch. The spot they chose was an old flower bed, they went in there pulled all the weeds, hoed, raked, planted and watered. Things were looking just get, till about two days later when my wife broke out from pulling poison sumac/oak something. I took her a month and a half to get rid of that stuff. So, working in the yard/garden is out the window, I grew up in a family that always had a small garden, so I know the benefits of having one. The big issue with having one now is the awful heat/humidity in the summer here in North Carolina, by the time I get home at night after being around heavy equipment that produces it own heat, I have no urge to be outside to work in a garden.

I will look into the shelving at those two stores, it may be that we have some around here that I don't know about, I will ask my wife. I will continue on that long way around the corner till I get her to the point she needs to be at.

Thank You,
    Milo H.

Container gardening

myjudge45410,

I am so sorry to hear of your wife's poison plant attack (I had it on my arm 2 summers ago). Maybe you could try container gardening - we live in town and yet there are herds of 10 - 15 deer that come through every two weeks, the only things they don't eat are the onions, oregano and chives from the flower garden so I have containers on our raised deck. I grow tomatoes, basil, strawberries, peppers, and this year, potatoes. I used to have huge gardens when I was younger, but unless I figure out a way to keep the neighborhood kids out (last year a lot of people in our area had their gardens raided, I'm thinking electric fence, but I doubt the town council would approve!) and can keep the deer out, I will plant as much as I can on the deck. On the plus side, containers are much easier to care for and are right outside the door. Plus, I don't like the heat, humidity or bugs. Good luck!
    Last edited by kiwisami; 03-03-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

myjudge45410
    Kiwi,

Thank You, that thought never crossed my mind. I even remember seeing something about a hanging tomato planter, where the plant grew out of the bottom. I have a car port that I could probably run cross pieces from one upright to the other and hang pots from. I will just have to make sure the weight doen't pull the uprights inward and cause a collapse of the car port.

Milo H.

[QUOTE=El Bajista;1663... Muslim man walked up to her & wrapped his arms completely around her and squeezed. She yelled and screamed and fought to get away and the man finally let her go, saying she was misunderstanding him & that he was only trying to hug her because that's what they do in his culture. .....[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a big, fat lie, IF he was REALLY Muslim, from a "Muslim" culture. At least, for one who tries to follow the dictates of his religion. A practicing Muslim man does not touch women to whom he is not related-- many won't even shake hands with a woman. Grabbing somebody he didn't know like that is "haram" (not sure if that's spelled right...)-- taboo-- and considered extremely disrespectful, NOT friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisami View Post
    myjudge45410,

... I used to have huge gardens when I was younger, but unless I figure out a way to keep the neighborhood kids out (last year a lot of people in our area had their gardens raided, I'm thinking electric fence, but I doubt the town council would approve!) and can keep the deer out, I will plant as much as I can on the deck. On the plus side, containers are much easier to care for and are right outside the door. Plus, I don't like the heat, humidity or bugs. Good luck!
    Containers have the problem of drying out quickly, even the "self watering" type. They also are still susceptible to bugs, and other pests. Even hanging basket type containers have pest problems-- for me, that means rats and some birds.

We have a 5-6' solid board fence which keeps large-sized pests out, but not the small ones, and our soil is poor. We've been building "planter boxes" and terraces using mortar-less blocks and filling those with heavily amended soil. Nothing stops the rats, but laying out rose bush and other thorny cuttings seems to keep larger "critters" (like my dogs...) from getting at things; no spraying has encouraged ladybugs and parasitic wasps, so I no longer have much of a bug problem. The raised bed type planter boxes also keep the dogs out of things-- and easier to harvest.

Don't have any suggestions re: the kids.... Occasionally have problems in our front yards due to little idiots who think it's fun to destroy things-- however, I've reported each incident to police; enough "incidents", and they increase patrols to an area.

Nothing like a natural disaster to get your spouse on board. My husband thinks I'm Debbie Downer. But, with all the hurricanes in 2004 we were without power for 17 days. We managed fine, even having to work 12 hour shifts as LEO's. With that test run and his capabilities I know we'll do fine. In the meantime I don't discuss it with him. We're both always armed and situationally aware. I just keep stocking up. Using the closet in my utility room for storage. After the hurricanes I convinced him to fill the 50 gallon deisel tank; usually he has several 5 gallon containers on hand. So now we have plenty of fuel, short-term for our generators. The sneaky thing I did was start a garden. I have a black thumb; he has a green thumb. So the plan all along was to get him to take it over, because of course I can't grow anything. It worked!