Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
Chronic illness and survival
Reply to Thread
    integrator1

Chronic illness and survival

Diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, etc. For a survivalist who suffers from a chronic condition or illness this is as much a concern as food storage, escape planning, weapons training, or any other survival issue. My first suggestion is to try to acquire as much of your traditional(MD prescribed) medication as possible. Over the years I have been able to stockpile 60 or more days of doses of all my medications. How did I do this? I took drug "holidays" by skipping a dose here and there. When I felt well and my indicators were good, I have skipped entire days. You must have absolute control of your various conditions to do this and you MUST know what medications you can skip and those you can't. Ask your pharmacist about taking drug "holidays" from your prescriptions before you try it. Another method I use is to half the dosage of my precriptions to make them last longer. This strategy has worked well for me. Again, ask your pharmacist for their opinion before you try this tactic. Finally, I am an avid proponent of natural and holistic medicine. I am under the care of a licensed naturopath practitioner as well as my regular MD. I take a wide variety of natural supplements that either enhance or in many case replace the prescription medication I am taking. I have spent years studying alternative health options. Many are worthless and are a waste of time and money. A good many of these alternatives have been viable and even superior to prescribed medications, for me. That is why you should consult a naturopath or other licensed holistic professional to find what works and what does not. I use meditation as a treatment for high blood pressure. I take vitamins, trace minerals, and other readily available over-the-counter remedies to build my immune system, strengthen my heart, improve my cognitive level, and make my every day health and well-being better. I keep a substantial supply of the natural solutions along with my supply of prescribed medications. I constantly do extensive research about alternative health solutions and I make sure I follow practitioners that I know have excellent reputations and can be trusted. A chronic ailment for a survivalist is a serious issue that, when planned for, is survivable.

RichStillinWyo

Re: Chronic illness and survival

There are a lot of chronic illnesses which we treat with [allopathic] medications. The bulk of chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes and mental illness can be left untreated and a person can still live a productive life – for a while. The bigger issue is quality of life.
    Life style changes can deal with much of the chronic problems we have as we age. I bet we will all lose weight after SHTF, that lone will cut down on blood pressure and diabetes issues but not all of them. I would agree with integrator1, that we should stock up on our regular medications. The easiest way is to go every 28 days for refills. Most medications are dispensed in 30 day batches so this ends up building your stash by 2 days a month. You could [and should] have a sit down heart to heart, pun intended, with your doctor. Explain your concerns about running out if something were to happen to the supply chain. After that, flat out ask for an extra Rx to be filled to get you ahead. Most likely IF you have a good relationship and are a responsible type, you will get it. The issue will be that insurance, if any, will not cover the extra but then again a lot of the chronic medications are on the $4.00 list at the big box stores. Oh, a caveat, never EVER lie to your health care provider. And don’t ask for CDS [controlled dangerous substances] drugs.
    Learn all you can about your conditions and treatments now while you can before SHTF – this is good for living with it now too.
    "A chronic ailment for a survivalist is a serious issue that, when planned for, is survivable."
    I concur with that!!

Rich

dant

Re: Chronic Illness and survival

Quote Originally Posted by RichStillinWyo View Post
    "A chronic ailment for a survivalist is a serious issue that, when planned for, is survivable."
    I concur with that!!

Rich
    To a limited extent so do I. The major medical concerns in my life are blood pressure, gout, and the complete lack of a thyroid. The first two can be handled one way or another, the third will leave me dead or, worse, useless about two weeks after running out of thyroid pills. I accept this situation and strive to keep 2-3 month supply on hand; I also try to do what it takes to ensure my wife & family will survive after I am gone.

leilamillaw
    I've been suffering from GERD. Heartburns and palpitations really disturb me. But I still survived.

Corinne Studwell

Intro

Hey, Love site basically a observation that I was getting automatically redirected to your home-page if I read this inner page; It seemed like a browser hi-jack or something, I am not too absolutely sure but believed you really should know about it. Thanks

Kinda hard to "stock up" when you have Kaiser (and probably other HMOs are the same).
    The docs won't write "extra" prescriptions-- not sure they even CAN, anymore, now that everything is computerized. They type in the order while you are there in the exam room, then you go pick it up in the pharmacy-- no paper changes hands. Refills without a dr visit are checked for approval and are not filled if you haven't had enough time to have used them as directed. I can get a 3 month supply of mine (thyroid med) because that is what is contained in the manufacturer's bottle-- that way, they don't have to open the bottles and count pills, plus they save on shipping; no way would they consider giving me 2 bottles at a time, though.

Problem is the "short dates"-- and it's hard to find info re: how quickly it REALLY deteriorates after (or before...) opening the bottles. All I know is, that some lot #s of pills seem to be less effective than others, as well as towards the end of the bottle.

One missed day isn't too bad-- just a bit more "wiped out" by the end of theday. 3 days without (because I got a mailed refill late)-- definitely symptomatic. Two weeks without (had to do when switching types)-- back to what I was before rx tx (was taking supplements/acupuncture though, so the rx does "work", and isn't a "placebo" as one Kaiser doc insisted).

Chronic health problems

One missed day isn't too bad-- just a bit more "wiped out" by the end of theday. 3 days without (because I got a mailed refill late)-- definitely symptomatic. Two weeks without (had to do when switching types)-- back to what I was before rx tx (was taking supplements/acupuncture though, so the rx does "work", and isn't a "placebo" as one Kaiser doc insisted).[/QUOTE]
    I try to take a little bit less of my pain pills(without them cannot move, spinal issues) so after 6 months I have a months supply(for taking everyday) still would try to take only what was needed, but know with the work that will have to be done will be daily! So I still am trying to put some away for the rainy day as you can't get "extra" in these meds.

my wife had thyroid cancer [ all is good now ] and had her thyroids removed and must take a dayly med.she can only get her meds monthly and when shtf I am very concerned as to what we can do with out her meds. we have no ideaif there is something to take her current meds. place. asked the Dr. and never really got a answer. if anyone can please advise we will greatly appreciate it very, very much.god bless, take care.ron