Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
Improvised weapons
Reply to Thread
    DavidMorris

Improvised weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    I am a new member, and the first lesson suggests I practice with someone to get to a weapon before the someone gets to me. I live alone, and have no one to practice with. Is there any suggestions on what to do instead?
    Hi Granny...thanks for signing up!

The first thought I have after reading your question is that you really need to find some people near you who you trust who you can prepare with. If/when you need to use your survival skills, having a close-knit group of people you can trust will be essential. It will allow you to rest/recuperate, divide and conquer tasks/chores, and it will allow you to lean on other people's strengths instead of trying to be the master of everything. Finally, it will allow you to specialize somewhat in your buying and make the whole process of preparing much more affordable. We'll talk about forming your mutual aid group throughout the course so that you can be well on your way to having one by the time you've completed the course.

In the meantime, one thing you can do is see how long it takes you to open the door to your house/apartment and get to various rooms in your house. That is the baseline for how long you have to acquire and ready a weapon.

Next, go into each room and start looking at various objects and evaluating them from a cutting/blunt force prospective:

- Will your floor lamp deliver an effective blow or fall apart?
    - What hard bound books can you grab effectively and swing at an intruder with the intent of striking them with the edge/corner?
    - Do you have chairs that you can pick up & run at an intruder with?
    - Do you have any heavy/sharp rocks/glass awards or trinkets?
    - In the kitchen, do you know where your knives are, which way they face, and could you grab them in the dark and know you were grabbing a handle vs. grabbing a blade?
    - Are your towel bars, paper towel holders, curtain rods, or shower curtain rods flimsy or potential weapons?
    - Do you have a curling iron or clothes iron that would heat up quickly? (very limited application...pretty much only if you are hiding in a bathroom when you hear an intruder come in)
    - Do you have lighters/aerosol cans near each other?

Experiment until you find the right combination of improvised weapons for each room that you can acquire and make ready in the time it would take for an intruder to get from the entrance of your house to you. It's not much time AT ALL.

David

Chip

Get a dog

To anyone who lives alone If You need a warning and a distraction to give You time to get to a weapon, get a dog. Even a small yappy dog will give a warning when someone is entering your home, and will distract the potential intruder while You arm yourself.

I agree We have relied on dogs for the 36 years that the wife and I have made a home together. There is no substitute you do need to decide if you want a dog that will yap as Chip said or will fight with/for you. Once that your decision is made that helps you decide on the breed and how to train the beast. Keep in mind that you are now adding vet care to your survival situation. Heart worm protection, dog food and rabies vaccinations just to name a few of the future needs to maintain your animal comrade. On the other had they can hear better, smell better and don’t seem to sleep as sound as I do. You just have to weigh the real pay off to cost. I always have two which make a formidable team that have differing strengths and weakness's.
    "Because our enemies are not taking the day off!"-Cold War Scout

Has any one ever thought of a way to use the sprinkler system in the yard as a weapon or deterrent? Like to spray out OC or something of that nature.
    "Because our enemies are not taking the day off!"-Cold War Scout

Quote Originally Posted by sndmn View Post
    Has any one ever thought of a way to use the sprinkler system in the yard as a weapon or deterrent? Like to spray out OC or something of that nature.
    I can easiely see you having to pick up your mail at the post office from now on !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
    I can easiely see you having to pick up your mail at the post office from now on !
    Thanks. I just spit coffee all over my monitor. That's funny right there.