Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
Living near a prison.
Reply to Thread

Living near a prison.

Hello, I just joined up and am looking fwd to learning as much as I can here. My question is about living within miles of a prison. We are rural but they built a prison three miles away a few years back. I would like to weather any crisis out here at home, well as long as home is here. Has anyone ever thought about what jails and prisons would do if things get bad? I would possibly make different plans if prisoners all got out of prison at the same time. Most likely some would end up passing near us. Just wondering if there were ever any discussions on this. Thanks.

Well, in California... we're releasing prisoners from local jails to make room for ones to be transferred from prisons, and also releasing some directly from the prisons... along with cuts to the budgets of the various law enforcement agencies. A local judge is planning to get a shotgun... and she has never been a gun advocate before....

In the case of a "normal jail break" I would'nt worry too much about prisoners holding up at your home, remember they want to get as far away as possible from that place! However, during a wrol / shtf situation, you might want to pay close attention to your area(s).

Funbrain

whoah this blog is wonderful i love reading your posts. Keep up the great work! You know, lots of people are searching around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

This is more a subject for a book than a thread. A gun and annual training is a good start. I know many who carry a gun on their person even when they are at home. A concealed carry permit so that when you come home to find an unwanted visitor you have a means to respond.

Steel doors and deadbolts. An alarm system that you keep turned on all the time. A stone or brick facia at least four feet up the exterior wall to act as a bullet barrier. Keep the doors and windows locked. Basically everything you should do anyway to protect your home and family. Keep your preparations and security measures secret. Even if you develop a neighborhood team they don't need to know everything about your setup, nor do you need to know a great deal about theirs. Almost no one should know that you have made special preparations.

Every day we face the threat of a home invasion and they are becoming more prevalent every year. Do you think you live in a good neighborhood? Where would you go looking for something worth selling A-a slum or B-your house? You ask a very good question but the risk is here today. If there is a breakout they will probably want to exit the area as soon as possible. They will be looking for targets of opportunity to facilitate that. Cars, cash, and anything easily sold will be their primary targets. Your goal is to make your home more difficult and less inviting than anyone in the neighborhood.

In a true shtf situation you have to ask yourself what would be the highest of prorities for the escaped prisoners? What would happen if all of the cells opened at once due to a EMP? The cell locks are ran off of electricity. The guards could not stop them. Without a fear of being captured the prisoners would be in no hurry to leave the area and they would start looking for weapons, food, water, alcohol, tobacco and the one thing that they haven't had in some time. A woman. I know the woman part sounds harsh but it is reality. I myself would want to be as far away from a prison as possible or have a secure and well hidden bug out spot close by with enough supplies to last until the mass rush of prisoners spread out. I would also want to be heavily armed and heavily prepared.

Heya Riverpilot69,

Quote Originally Posted by riverpilot69 View Post
    In a true shtf situation you have to ask yourself what would be the highest of prorities for the escaped prisoners? What would happen if all of the cells opened at once due to a EMP? The cell locks are ran off of electricity. The guards could not stop them. Without a fear of being captured the prisoners would be in no hurry to leave the area and they would start looking for weapons, food, water, alcohol, tobacco and the one thing that they haven't had in some time. A woman. I know the woman part sounds harsh but it is reality. I myself would want to be as far away from a prison as possible or have a secure and well hidden bug out spot close by with enough supplies to last until the mass rush of prisoners spread out. I would also want to be heavily armed and heavily prepared.
    Not that you're wrong about the looking for a woman part...but those striker style locks require power to OPEN, not stay locked. If there were an EMP and power was down the prisoners may be trapped in their cells and whatnot, but all the doors opening at once and releasing the prisoners en masse may make good nightmares, but it's not going to happen in real life. I worked for a locksmith and have installed those units in secure cells in court houses and whatnot and can tell you for sure, no power, no open sesame. In fact the guards may have to break the locks to get those cells open in those circumstances or the prisoners may starve to death.
    Keep on Preppin'

GIJeff