Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
.22 Survival Weapons - Page 3
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DYDAYlatitari View Post
    What is "survival"? Whats the definition to you?

Should we even do it?

Since presumably were already alive, how is "survival" different than what were doing already?

E
    ...As he slowly stirs the pot...
    I'm not going to delete this post, but I don't want to see any more pot stirring like this in here again. This is a classic definition of a trolling post, nobody's biting. Give it up or I'll dust off the ban hammer.
    Keep on Preppin'

GIJeff

I wouldn't want a 22 to be my only weapon in a survival situation but, I most certainly would want to have it among a few. Ideally I would like a 22, a 12 Ga., a 1911 45ACP or clone and my dressed up SKS. All of which I currently have on hand.
    The Ruger 10/22 seems to be that to which all others are compared. Not the only quality 22 out there i'm sure but, in light of all the available accessories for it, if you don't already have a 22 why not the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorgunner View Post
    I wouldn't want a 22 to be my only weapon in a survival situation but, I most certainly would want to have it among a few. Ideally I would like a 22, a 12 Ga., a 1911 45ACP or clone and my dressed up SKS. All of which I currently have on hand.
    The Ruger 10/22 seems to be that to which all others are compared. Not the only quality 22 out there i'm sure but, in light of all the available accessories for it, if you don't already have a 22 why not the Ruger.
    I agree. If I chose only one weapon and it was a .22, I can't help but think I would be wishing every day that I had picked a shotgun instead!

I believe I saw Ruger has just announced a 10/22 takedown version...I want one as I already love my 10/22 ive had for about 10 yrs.

I agree w/ Doorgunner. The .22LRHP (prefer Ruger 10/22 tactical - black polystock that is easily converted to a folder for your pack) is great for small game & easy draw down w/ iron sights; 12 gauge is great for self-defense (00) and hunting birds in flight (#7-8 shot); AR/SKS for seriously reaching out to touch someone AND as a force multiplier as well as a deterrent; .45 ACP for backup. (FYI - studies have shown that the meaner looking the weapon [tactical, black, w/ laser and scope] the more people will recoil from it. It also makes people think the shooter is well trained and former military/LEO, so they know how to use it.) I also would recommend a subcompact (.45 auto or BondArms derringer) for easy concealment when not carrying larger holster items. Ammo is generally plentiful, but buy it while you can.

This is an interesting discussion. I like 22's as well, but don't discount pistol caliber rifles. There are several very good ones and the longer barrel provides quite a bit more punch than their pistol counter parts. It also has the added advantage of not needing different calibers of ammo. As for shotguns, they are also excellent and if you can deal with the recoil, a slug will significantly extend your range and knockdown power.

Good point pjn...I have a sub2000 in 40 that I love! Gonnna get the wife one in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by thenaturenurd View Post
    Good point pjn...I have a sub2000 in 40 that I love! Gonnna get the wife one in 9mm.
    I think that I am going to add a sub2000 for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that it folds down and that it can take the same mags as 9mm or 40 handgun if you match them up. Before I started thinking about prepping for STHF kind of stuff, I bought a Hi Point 9mm just to plink and play with. I was amazed at how accurate they are and how far out you can accurately and effectively use them. The ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than 30/30 or 30 06 or pick your caliber. I don't have any assault type guns as I focus mainly on hunting. But for home defense in an urban environment these little pistol caliber rifles are great especially for women. Very little or no recoil, they are light weight, short enough to easily maneuver around with and pack quite a punch compared to a 22. I am not dissing the 22 as I love them but just sharing other options and observations. An added bonus is the ammo is still affordable and very commonly used and available. But the best part is the guns themselves are very affordable, well made, and reliable. I think that your sub2000 weighs what 4 or 5 pounds. That is awesome especially if you ever need to stuff it into a bug out bag or back pack.

By the way, Ruger now makes the 10/22 with a removable barrel. A friend just got one and it comes with a little back pack to carry it in. Very nice and the barrel comes off and goes back on very quickly and easily.

Heya Peeps,

I like the sub 2000 also, and consider it a reasonable urban defense weapon. There are limitations to the range they can be effective at though, the 9mm is about the same energy at 100 yards as a .380, at 150 it's probably only marginally effective, and at 200 ineffective altogether. As long as you don't need to engage targets beyond it's effective range it's a great weapon. I consider it a good supplementary weapon to your battle rifle, but no substitute. It'd be a good weapon for a woman or partner who's watching your back as you engage targets further out, and kicks lightly and handles easily. I wouldn't want to count on it as my sole primary weapon, but it makes a good add. The ability to fold it and carry it inconspicuously can be a real advantage if things haven't gotten to the point where the civil authorities are accepting of you going about armed. I recently recommended a prepper that is just starting out buy one matching his 9mm glock 19, but unfortunately they are in very short supply and he hasn't been able to procure one as yet.
    Keep on Preppin'

GIJeff

scrambo

Quote Originally Posted by GIJeff View Post
    Heya Brad,

Well I don't know about the .22 not being capable of quick stops. I seem to recall the footage of Hinkley's assasination attempt on President Ronald Regan and Jim Brady was hit with one .22 round and he seemed pretty stopped to me. Now I don't say it was a good thing that he got shot, but the round certainly did the job. ANY head or central nervous system hit with ANY bullet will drop ANYTHING. That said, headshots are not always practical. The Heritage pistol I have though shoots .22 magnum as well as long rifle and .22 magnum rounds have the same energy as 9mm rounds. I expect a central torso hit with a .22 mag in the range of the heavier hollowpoints should have the same effect a decent 9mm hollowpoint would. In a pinch or in case of someone wanting a low recoil weapon, which the Heritage revolver is, it will do double duty as a defensive weapon. Out of a rifle such as your 10/22 I expect the .22 LR will have considerably more wounding effect and could indeed kill or stop a two legged predator fairly quickly....would I rather have my .45 or 9mm or AR-15 in 5.56 to shoot at them, yes, but don't sell the old .22 short. I once met a game warden that told me he arrested a woman for killing six deer with .22 SHORTS. Go figure.
    Peter Hathaway Capstick author of Death In the Long Grass, told a story in one of his books of an African Native killing a full grown elephant with a .22 pretty good stopping power, don't want to get shot with one myself...