Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
The familly plan, walk throughs and cross training
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David Caines

The familly plan, walk throughs and cross training

For those who spend a lot of time out and about, you need to build your family plan around your realities.
    My wife spends most of her week two states away in Manhattan of all places. She now has five years of wing chun and Kempo behind her, firearms training , carries pepper spray and is trained in it's use and has a back up power cell for her cell phone as part of her EDC. The plan is to get her home in the event of any major issue. A quick onto the bus and out, but that has failed before. Cab to ferry to jersey to bus or cab...and a fair amount of cash in a safe in the city to make that possible...friends welcome.
    In my absence, she knows the escape routes, can carry the go bag and we have a few plans regarding our pets. She also knows the neighbors and has the skills needed to survive and thrive to a degree in my absence. A plan should be simple, should be based in the habits and needs of the family and be based in the base realities of all involved. If those realities don't measure up , then plan around the present and work towards new training levels.
    As a rule, one of us is home most of the time, so home is where we plan to survive.
    For the person on the road, the question I think is does your plan measure up to your reality?
    Does everyone in the family know it?
    Can each family member stand alone?
    That sort of thing.
    Providing one keeps the tank filled and the transportation simple, getting from point A to B should be a matter of course, making sure that everyone can function on their own is however a real nerve saver.
    Blessings,
    David
    see
    www.ready.gov
    for more info on plans.

I am very seldom gone from home without my wife. I'm not sure she could survive without my assistance. She has become dependent on my being around. She has used a gun somewhat but is in no way profient. She would be and is great at providing support and that in itself can be extrememly helpful. Unfortunately if we had to bug out and survive in the wild she would have great difficultiy and that would drag me down and endanger both of us. It's always a challange and we all have different circumstances. If things were not severe she could adapt but these things take time. As many people, she has become accustomed to luxurys. She is on board with stocking up and does a great job of that and it is one less thing that I have to do.

This is an excellent example where a group is an ideal situation, you have someone to watch your back and the spouses learn to cope together and depend on one another. Four eyes is good but 8 eyes is excellent and allows full time protection. Its always better to maintain a group than go alone so don't let it wander from your mind.
    Last edited by GST; 03-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.

David Caines
    By all means, the individual or even family unit is far better of with aid. Survival is and should be a group effort. Our host David Morris, does a bit on community building , and it is an idea not to be skipped lightly. Cooperation where possible beats opposition hands down.
    Nice point,
    Blessings,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Caines View Post
    For those who spend a lot of time out and about, you need to build your family plan around your realities.
    My wife spends most of her week two states away in Manhattan of all places. She now has five years of wing chun and Kempo behind her, firearms training , carries pepper spray and is trained in it's use and has a back up power cell for her cell phone as part of her EDC. The plan is to get her home in the event of any major issue. A quick onto the bus and out, but that has failed before. Cab to ferry to jersey to bus or cab...and a fair amount of cash in a safe in the city to make that possible...friends welcome.
    In my absence, she knows the escape routes, can carry the go bag and we have a few plans regarding our pets. She also knows the neighbors and has the skills needed to survive and thrive to a degree in my absence. A plan should be simple, should be based in the habits and needs of the family and be based in the base realities of all involved. If those realities don't measure up , then plan around the present and work towards new training levels.
    As a rule, one of us is home most of the time, so home is where we plan to survive.
    For the person on the road, the question I think is does your plan measure up to your reality?
    Does everyone in the family know it?
    Can each family member stand alone?
    That sort of thing.
    Providing one keeps the tank filled and the transportation simple, getting from point A to B should be a matter of course, making sure that everyone can function on their own is however a real nerve saver.
    Blessings,
    David
    see
    www.ready.gov
    for more info on plans.
    I conducted the first survival test with my wife yesterday. Since we live close to a major national park, I decided to utilize the vast wilderness area for our test. I equipped my wife with a compass , a flint stone and a small knife. I dropped her off about fifteen miles into the interior of the park at dusk with a hand drawn map. I am allowing her 72 hours to get home without being detected. I guess I will just have to rough it here and cook my own meals until she returns. I think 72 hours is more than an adequate amount of time for a 63 year old woman wearing flip flops to hike out.
    What do you think?

Seems a little harsh Bill! .............couldn't she have fixed you some precooked meals before she left?

Quote Originally Posted by GST View Post
    Seems a little harsh Bill! .............couldn't she have fixed you some precooked meals before she left?
    Damn, I knew I was forgetting somthing !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
    Damn, I knew I was forgetting somthing !

David Caines
    I think bill is pulling our chains...hope so. My wife did ask me to do a 24 hours bit, but that was with the BOB , she wasn't thrilled, but she got through, and I was on the cb and about a hundred feet away, though we won't tell her that. I've know my wife almost 30 years, she's a keeper. Still, we've done walk thoroughs.... it's kind of silly not to. But we do walk throughs with our preps...not some mean half assed thing. If he isn't having fun , I hope she leaves him. I would, the whole point of prepping is to never be in that spot. I came close once in Nicaragua...but I had mre's and an m-16a2/ m203 and I habla enspana. 20 bucks US and a dece3nt attitude got me diner , and salsa lessons. Prepping means never having to go back to panama with nothing but a knife.
    Blessings,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Caines View Post
    I think bill is pulling our chains...hope so. My wife did ask me to do a 24 hours bit, but that was with the BOB , she wasn't thrilled, but she got through, and I was on the cb and about a hundred feet away, though we won't tell her that. I've know my wife almost 30 years, she's a keeper. Still, we've done walk thoroughs.... it's kind of silly not to. But we do walk throughs with our preps...not some mean half assed thing. If he isn't having fun , I hope she leaves him. I would, the whole point of prepping is to never be in that spot. I came close once in Nicaragua...but I had mre's and an m-16a2/ m203 and I habla enspana. 20 bucks US and a dece3nt attitude got me diner , and salsa lessons. Prepping means never having to go back to panama with nothing but a knife.
    Blessings,
    David
    She made it back last night David , a little late but she lost a flip-flop crossing Green River. I'm going to let her get some sleep and she can wait until morning to fix my Breakfast !

Well good she made it back Bill but you would not make a good concentration camp guard LOL!