Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
What did you learn with no electricity/water? - Page 2
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kaytastrophy

Re: What did you learn with no electricity/water?

cricketdragonfly, I see you bought the book How to Live without Electricity and Like It. Is it really a useful and practical book and is it worth the $22.00 that
    I see it is plus shipping of course? Many of the books I have bought aren't worth the money and I am tired of buying books that just mention alternatives
    and never give you real information. Thanks, Kaytastrophy

kaytastrophy

We were without electricity for 7 days after hurricane Isabelle and 2 days without electricity after northeaster Ida. We found that we were disorganized and
    need to have the oil lamps, matches, flashlights, extra batteries, and hobo stove and buddy burners in a much handier place for these short term outages.
    I also found that I need to keep less in the freezer and go ahead and can all my frozen meats and dehydrate most of my vegetables. I now only keep
    one weeks worth in my freezer and when it gets to be more I have a couple of days that I can and dehydrate my excess to keep the food manageable.
    I lost about $300 worth of meat after the 7 day outage. I shouldn't say I lost it. I had to cook it all to keep it from spoiling and gave what we couldn't eat to the
    neighbors since they smelled are barbeque cooking it all. I know they were all sick of peanut butter and jelly and cold canned foods so they were very appreciative
    but we then never got offered any replacement when the power came back on. They didn't even offer to bring back my platters so I went and collected them
    from them. I could really see that people shouldn't know about your prep supplies and I have never told any of them about them and never will tell them.
    Kaytastrophy

kaytastrophy

I learned quite a bit when our power went out for 2 days with the northeaster IDA came through. I was too disorganized and had to search for things I needed
    and I didn't have enough batteries for the flashlights and radios. We went and bought them the second day but the lights came back on before we used them
    for more than 3 hours. We had some unfinished projects that we got completed the second day. Such as a hobo stove to use for our buddy burners.
    We had to go off in the car to recharge our cell phones. I have now a list of things to purchase to be more prepared. We are going to purchase a solar
    battery charger and rechargeable batteries. We also want to buy a portable battery booster and keep it charged so we may charge cell phones and laptop
    without going out in the car. We had everything else we needed but ice to save the milk and other items in the refrigerator that would have gone bad
    quickly. I found that lamp oil is pretty strong smelling and we didn't enjoy the smell. Is there some that doesn't smell so bad? Would like to buy a crank
    radio and a crank light as well. I think we will upgrade our supplies and then spend another weekend without electricity except to freezer and fridge to see what else we might find would help us survive a more permanent situation. Would love to get a small solar system to at least run radio, a few lights, and chargers.
    Money is always the thing that gets in the way. I will ask for some of the smaller items for my Christmas presents and try to talk hubby into the same thing.
    I am trying to write my own story of being a family survivalist to encourage other women and children to get involved with survival so the more I practice the
    better. We all need to do it. Thanks. Shirley (kaytastrophy)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMorris
    I wanted to share with you some of the "a-ha" moments from our times doing the night without utilities drill.

1. If you don't have water, you can't water your plants. So much for survival gardens in dry climates!
    2. Electric garage doors don't work without electricity. I've heard of some combinations of computer UPS (uninterruptible power supply) strips will power a garage door, but I haven't found one yet that will power mine. That means that everyone in the family needs to be able to get the garage door open without power. It may mean getting your springs adjusted or even replacing your garage door if you have an old heavy one.
    3. If all you have are cordless phones, your home phone won't work.
    4. Your security alarm may have a "power out" alarm that is quite annoying. Our original alarm backup battery is only designed to work for 12 hours.

What lessons did you learn? Were they simple lessons that were obvious after the fact, or were they truly profound?

MikeSurvives

This was a good exercise! It reaffirmed, to me, the status of my survival skills. I definitely need to get lots of batteries, though! My girlfriend and I played cards by candlelight, drank wine, and music by crank! That could get old real fast...the crank thing, I mean! I'm ready for security, which was of no concern at the time of the exercise, but will be! However, I was keeping that mindset!
    Best thing to remember is to have your light sources as close to a entry door as possible. After the lights are set up, move the "toe biters" out of the way, especially if you like to walk barefoot!
    Arrowhead 2.5 gallon plastic containers, full of tap water, are great to use as a faucet with running water in the sink areas. I keep 2 at each location!
    Camp stove worked great. Remember to crack the windows for ventalation. And, remember to always have a manual can opener!

Have fun camping!

Big Foot

Hi:
    I think you will find that real Kerosene is much more odorfree than "Lamp Oil".

We keep a half dozen Kerosene lanterns hanging in the garage, and for outdoor usage we use the citronella oil from HD, about $8/gal.
    But it should ONLY be used OUTDOORS!!! Put a line of lamps upwind of the sitting area outdoors.
    Citronella works because it is mildly poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytastrophy
    I learned quite a bit when our power went out for 2 days with the northeaster IDA came through. I was too disorganized and had to search for things I needed
    and I didn't have enough batteries for the flashlights and radios. We went and bought them the second day but the lights came back on before we used them
    for more than 3 hours. We had some unfinished projects that we got completed the second day. Such as a hobo stove to use for our buddy burners.
    We had to go off in the car to recharge our cell phones. I have now a list of things to purchase to be more prepared. We are going to purchase a solar
    battery charger and rechargeable batteries. We also want to buy a portable battery booster and keep it charged so we may charge cell phones and laptop
    without going out in the car. We had everything else we needed but ice to save the milk and other items in the refrigerator that would have gone bad
    quickly. I found that lamp oil is pretty strong smelling and we didn't enjoy the smell. Is there some that doesn't smell so bad? Would like to buy a crank
    radio and a crank light as well. I think we will upgrade our supplies and then spend another weekend without electricity except to freezer and fridge to see what else we might find would help us survive a more permanent situation. Would love to get a small solar system to at least run radio, a few lights, and chargers.
    Money is always the thing that gets in the way. I will ask for some of the smaller items for my Christmas presents and try to talk hubby into the same thing.
    I am trying to write my own story of being a family survivalist to encourage other women and children to get involved with survival so the more I practice the
    better. We all need to do it. Thanks. Shirley (kaytastrophy)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMorris
    I wanted to share with you some of the "a-ha" moments from our times doing the night without utilities drill.

1. If you don't have water, you can't water your plants. So much for survival gardens in dry climates!
    2. Electric garage doors don't work without electricity. I've heard of some combinations of computer UPS (uninterruptible power supply) strips will power a garage door, but I haven't found one yet that will power mine. That means that everyone in the family needs to be able to get the garage door open without power. It may mean getting your springs adjusted or even replacing your garage door if you have an old heavy one.
    3. If all you have are cordless phones, your home phone won't work.
    4. Your security alarm may have a "power out" alarm that is quite annoying. Our original alarm backup battery is only designed to work for 12 hours.

What lessons did you learn? Were they simple lessons that were obvious after the fact, or were they truly profound?

billtocci
    I have a power inverter built in our van. Run the van to power our refer. 3 months later our Alterator was going bad. $700.00 later. I won't do that again. I will stick to cell phone charging and lights.

billtocci
    The Renewable energy handbook by:william h. kemp ISBN: 978-0-9810132-1-3
    I'm reading this book. Talks about off grid living and basic processes.

rkramseb
    What I learned/know

teenage daughter has melt down....no cell phone lol
    Ron, KI4YQI

Survivorman
    During the Christmas outage in Oklahoma last year and still having to try and work I have learned that people will still try to get out and to have cash is a big thing when there is no power for weeks. I'm talking 5's, 10's, and 20's so that you can buy little things that you forget about that stores will sell in cash only basis. Also because I deal in power generation we deal with diesel so I store up on it for my diesel generator so that I have power. Everyone has great ideas and I'm glad that there are people that are thinking ahead for the times to come.

We learned to do this years ago . We lived in a rural area in KY where at least once per year an ice storm would knock out the electricity and we would be without electricity and running water for up to a week at a time. We had kerosene lamps and one good Coleman lantern and a camp stove. We heated the house with a wood stove. I had a fifty gallon barell that I hauled on the back of my pickup with water to flush toilets and wash dishes and faces ect. We played board games with the kids around the table by the light of the Coleman lantern. The phone was a nine party line so we were used to doing without it anyway. Mamma piled on quilts and blankets so everyone slept warm. Food from the refridgerator was placed out side in a covered wooden crate and kept just fine in the 20 to 30 degree weather. We cooked the food in the freezer first. We ate a lot of soup, (homemade) in a large pot on the wood stove. We didn't have any more security issues that we ever did and the shotgun on my gun rack stayed in it's usual place as the backup against wild animals and wild men. I went to work every day and returned every night , ( a feat that required snow chains and nerves), bringing replacment supplys as needed. We now live in a world where it is easy to forget that the lights can go out . I still have all my backup supplys and low tech equipment. When the lights go out again , me and momma will still be here to show the grand kids how to get by.
    Last edited by Bill M; 01-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.