Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
Mosin Nagant
Reply to Thread

Thread: Mosin Nagant

Cool Mosin Nagant

Hey does anyone know about Mosin Nagant Rifles? My local gun shop has them for 199 but I know online places like buds have them in very good condition for less than 100 shipped. I like rifles not everyone has.

Heya Naturenurd,

I did a SHTF firepower blog some time ago that mentions the Mosin rifles. They are reliable, powerful, and use cheap ammunition. The issue with them is that they are slow in terms of self defense situations against numbers and the ammo is all imported more or less. If you buy one make sure to get a ton of ammo for it so you won't run out and wind up with a club. If you reload for it the components are available but most of the ammo you will buy surplus will have Berdan primers and not be reloadable without significant and finicky modification. I tried both the M-44 and the 9130 and found them to be decent weapons, extremely powerful (will kill anything that walks or crawls on this continent), and utterly reliable. If you only have the budget for one, definitely go for it. That said, if you have more budget, I definitely recommend you have more options for quick and dirty urban or close in combat, because this is not this weapon's forte.

Here is that post: http://secretsofurbansurvival.com/sh...repower+budget
    Keep on Preppin'

GIJeff

Well after watching Enemy at the Gates (which reminds me I need to rewatch that). I know they were good for sniping and cheap ammo is a plus. I saw Hickok45 on youtube do a great video on them, held one in my hands at my local gun store but just wondered how they would be. I just bought an AK for my birthday which is today and shot it this past Sunday with the fam. We currently live in East TX which is heavily forested so long range sniping is not really an option most places. The AK is perfectly capable of making nice groups at quite a few yards out . I like historic weapons and was just curious of anyone on here had personal experience with them. I will check out your post and thanks for the reply.

Heya Naturenurd,

You may want to invest in the mojo peep sight upgrade that replaces the rear sight without modification, scout mount scopes are ok but the mounts can be loosened with the heavy recoil. Drill and tap for a mount is a better option, but the best option I could find was to heat the rear sight up with a torch (it's just soldered on there) and drift it forward off of the nearly exactly 3/8ths dovetail it rests on and put some high STEEL .22 rings on it and shoot it with a scout scope. Millet makes the rings in steel for sure, check Brownells for those. Ebay for the scout mount scope. Long eye relief is the most important thing, magnification should not be higher than 4x on the low end of a variable magnification scope so you can engage closer targets with it. If you don't like heavy recoil go with the 9130, the M44 and M38 kick like mules on steroids with that flat steel butt plate. If you do want a shorter rifle and don't want to keep it stock ATI makes a very nice fiberglass stock with a rubber recoil pad integral and Monte Carlo grip for about forty bucks. Yes, you can keep the bayonet on the M44 with the ATI stock. An alternative is to buy the AIM Surplus clone sniper model with the crappy (I think) original style scope. It's a three power I think but I never liked the reticle at all.
    Keep on Preppin'

GIJeff

Muchas Gracias...not a bad weapon to add to the arsenal. Appreciate the help.

dont do it

Quote Originally Posted by thenaturenurd View Post
    Muchas Gracias...not a bad weapon to add to the arsenal. Appreciate the help.
    unless maybe you can use one to take an elk, then sell the meat for $2000. They are next to useless for shtf, cause they are low, heavy, clunker bolt actions, that do not fire our GI rds. If money is that tight for you, stick to a used, $80 Marlin Glefield m60 .22 autoloader, with a silencer that you make and fit yourself. Amazon has a $10 book that shows you how to counterbore your muzzle safely and precisely, using just a vise and a handheld eletric drill. (if that drill has a bubble level buit into it). You can buy such a drill for $10 at many a pawshop. Then you use a tap and tap holder to internally thread your barrel. A pair of c clamps, $1 each, will substitute for the vise, too. The book is HOW TO MAKE A SILENCER FOR A .22. Naturally, to be legal, you have to be in a state with no laws vs silencers (20 states have such laws) and you have to pay $200 to the feds, have your fingerprints taken, submit to a background check, etc. The baffles are made freom annealed, folded, spindeled copper screenwire, are easily formed with the tool kit that I show you how to make. Yes, I wrote the book.