Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''" /></a> ' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /home/survivel/public_html/secretsofurbansurvival-com/includes/class_core.php(4580) : eval()'d code on line 172
Hunting WTSHTF - Page 2
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting WTSHTF

Here in Texas we have plenty of Wild Hogs and the folks who dont want to hunt to feed the family would starve.

As has been mentioned but never explicitly stated, trapping will fill a pot much quicker than hunting. Using rat traps for birds and even squirrels is possible, but nothing beats a dozen conibears in various sizes. There is even a way to use a larger model of conibear (330) to get deer. Definitely NOT something to practice until absolutely needed as this would violate almost all state hunting/trapping regs but in a life-or-death situation, the rules go out the window.

This thread reminded me of an episode of "Jerico" where one of the lead town folk stayed in the woods for several days trying to hunt for deer but after a few days his wife brought him some food and said " I thought all the deer were gone?" He replied, "they are, but I was just hoping".

After some time into a true wrol / shtf situation (maybe a few months to a year) most if not all wild life will be hunted to the point of extinction.

If you have room, raise some chickens and rabbits for meat.
    Don't forget about fish! Convert an old swimming pool into your new fish pond.
    "Keep your powder dry"

In my humble opinion I believe that wildlife will not be decimated because many do not hunt or get outdoors like that should and learning in a worl/shtf scenario may not cut it for that sort of thing. Who knows though.

I've always believed hunger to be one of the most powerful of the motivators and folks will do what they have to do to eat.
    If not for them then for their children.

In a true wrol / shtf situation you will see the side of humans that have been repressed from "social engineering" go out the window.

True animal instincts will surface for survival.
    "Keep your powder dry"

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouthernNationalist View Post
    I've always believed hunger to be one of the most powerful of the motivators and folks will do what they have to do to eat.
    If not for them then for their children.

In a true wrol / shtf situation you will see the side of humans that have been repressed from "social engineering" go out the window.

True animal instincts will surface for survival.
    Not disagreeing about animal instincts but thinking alot of folks will be in predatory mode towards others rather than finding things for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by thenaturenurd View Post
    Not disagreeing about animal instincts but thinking alot of folks will be in predatory mode towards others rather than finding things for themselves.
    Yep, that's how I should have phrased it, lol.
    "Keep your powder dry"

accidents? Ha, people will shoot you on sight, quite deliberately, pard! They will want to remove you as a threat, and to not have you competing for resources, or just for the hell of it. Only about half of an animal's live weight is edible meat, and under stress, each adult needs 4 lbs of food per day. So you'd have to catch 8 squirrels per day, or 4 big rabbits, every day, or kill a typical (100 lb) deer every 2 weeks, for every adult in your group. Far, far better, is just to keep your eye peeled for game, your silenced rifle ready for a shot, but have 40+ traps, snares, nets, trotlines, etc ready. Better yet, have night vision capability and "tend" your traps and nets at night. Set them up in loops, like a 4 leafed clover, so that you end up near your "base camp" 4x per day. Use poison to kill off the predators that are eating your game. Use jacklighting and bird "lime" to trap roosting birds. Look for nests and eat the eggs, in the spring. Realize that you'll have to eat insects, reptiles, amphibians, all sorts of goop. Have at least a 6 month supply of buried food. Know your wild, edible plants, be set up to grow and use sprouts.